Featured post

First Lady's Initiative to Enhance Healthcare in the Niger Delta: Tinubu's Strategic Approach

Image
  First Lady Senator Oluremi Tinubu has reiterated the dedication of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's administration to improving healthcare access for rural communities, especially in the Niger Delta region. Senator Tinubu made her remarks yesterday in Otuasega, located in the Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.  Her comments came during the launch of health insurance services designed to support impoverished and vulnerable populations, alongside the inauguration of a cottage hospital and community school by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) in partnership with the Renewed Hope Initiative. She emphasized the Federal Government’s commitment to saving lives by ensuring timely medical assistance to help lower health mortality rates across the nation. According to Senator Tinubu, these initiatives showcase a robust effort to tackle the healthcare issues confronting rural communities. She underlined the introduction of a health insurance scheme tailored for thes...

London Museum Returns Looted Benin Artefacts To Nigeria (Photos)


Six artefacts looted by British troops 125 years ago from Benin City, in Nigeria, are being repatriated to their place of origin, increasing pressure on the British Museum to follow suit.

Recall that in August, the Horniman Museum and Gardens in Southeast London said it would transfer a collection 72 items to Nigerian Government. 

According to them, the decision comes after Nigeria's National Commission for Museum  and monuments formally asked for artifacts to be returned earlier this year and following a consultation with community members, artist and school children in Nigeria and the UK, the Museum said.

"The evidence is very clear that these objects were acquired through force, and external consultation supported our view that it is both moral and appropriate to return their ownership to Nigeria,'' Eve Salomon, chair of the museum's board of trustees, said in a statement. "The Horniman is pleased to be able to take this step, and we look forward to working with the NCMM to secure longer term care for these precious artifacts.''

The Horniman described returning the looted objects as a 'moral and appropriate' response after a request from Nigeria's National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM).

There are still questions about whether thousands of items that are held at large institutions globally, including the British Museum, will ever be sent back.


However, the first six objects which were returned included two 'Benin Bronze' plaques from the royal palace – were handed to Nigerian officials at a ceremony marking the transfer of ownership of 72 looted items.

The items were taken from Benin City by British troops in February 1897.

 

Nick Merriman, CEO of the Horniman Museum and Gardens, and Professor Abba Tijani, the NCMM's director-general, were asked by journalists ahead of the official handover if they were frustrated at the British Museum's apparent reluctance to hand over the 900 objects it has held for more than a century.

Mr. Merriman, who said the Horniman had been an 'excellent example' of leadership, stated: 'Journalists who ask me about the Benin return always want to ask me about the British Museum.

 'I would rather talk about what an excellent example the Horniman is rather than answer questions about the British Museum.'

 

Professor Tijani later explained that about 5,000 Benin bronzes are currently “scattered” around the world.

 He said that he is hoping that talks with various institutions may result in deals that could herald the items being returned from places including Germany and the U.S.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benin Republic, Niger enjoy smuggled fuel as Nigerians keep vigil at petrol stations

Nigerian blogger Olufunke 'Angels Empire' Afeh is set to appear in court on April 8 following her recent arrest and detention in connection with allegations of cyberstalking and harassment.

Nigeria's president warns youth not to join 'sinister' protests